NEW: Hackensack Renter's Assistance Program Facilitated by Greater Bergen Community Action
Greater Bergen Community Action is facilitating the new Hackensack Renter's Assistance Program which is brought exclusively to eligible Hackensack residents by the Mayor and Council of the City of Hackensack.
The Hackensack Renter's Assistance Program, funded by federal stimulus funds the City received as part of the American Rescue Plan, will help families throughout the City of Hackensack who have, or are still experiencing, significant adverse economic impacts due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. The program is designed to help ensure that low-to-middle income tenants (those ineligible for State and County Emergency Rental Assistance Programs due to income restrictions) are assisted with a one-time stimulus benefit to help pay rent arrears or future rent, utilities, or necessary household necessities during these tough times. Eligible residents will receive a one-time stimulus payment of $1,000.
The program will aid tenants specifically who have been adversely affected with job loss or income decline due to the pandemic. Eligibility requirements include:
● Eligible applicants are those whose household incomes are at or below 120% AMI.
● Applicants must either qualify for unemployment or have had a reduction in household income due to the pandemic.
● Assistance is prioritized for renter households with incomes that do not exceed 80% of AMI, as well as renters who are currently unemployed and have been unemployed for 90 days or more.
● Applicants who received rental assistance through the State Covid 19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (CAP), or the Bergen County Emergency Rental Assistance Program are ineligible.
● Applicants eligible for the Bergen County Emergency Rental Assistance Program will be directed to apply for that program in lieu of the City of Hackensack assistance program.
To apply and for more information, go to www.hackensack.org/rentersgrant.
*Income eligibility chart can be found on the website.