Home Energy Assistance Programs

Helping individuals through temporary utility payment challenges

Greater Bergen Community Action

Home energy assistance programs help income-qualified individuals experiencing a financial challenge pay their energy bill and remain in their home.


Energy costs can place stress on a household budget, whether the income is low, or the household is experiencing a financial emergency. In some instances, the household is forced to make painful decisions regarding which bills to pay and which necessities to survive without.

Greater Bergen Community Action

LIHEAP (The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)

USF (United Service Fund) 

TRUE (Temporary Relief for Utility Expenses)

PAGE (Payment Assistance for Gas and Electric Programs)


SUEZ (Water Program)

  • Bergen County residents

  • Income-qualified

  • Experiencing a temporary challenge involving utility bill payment

  • Household must be responsible for paying heating/cooling costs directly to the fuel supplier

  • Other specific requirements depending on assistance program


At your in-person appointment, your counselor will work with you one-on-one to determine the best program(s) to help you:

Greater Bergen Community Action

There is no charge for any of our energy payment services

  1. Email applications to: LIHEAP@GreaterBergen.org

  2. Mail applications to: Greater Bergen LIHEAP, 294 Union Street Hackensack, NJ

  3. Deliver applications in person to the following drop box location:

    • 261 State Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601​

  4. If special accommodations are required (homebound or wheelchair), please call for an appointment.


If you have any questions, please call: (201) 488-5100 extension 7008.


After you call, your counselor will tell you what you need to bring from this list.

  1. Complete application with all required forms.

  2. Proof of income for all household members 18 years or older.

  3. Last four consecutive pay stubs (if paid weekly); Last two consecutive pay stubs (if paid bi-weekly)

  4. Copy of pension statement showing gross or 1099

  5. Current unemployment clients: A200 printout (obtain at 60 State Street, Hackensack,NJ)

  6. 18+ and attending school full-time: school schedule with credits shown and/or letter from school indicating you are attending full time

  7. If you receive assistance from family or friends because your income doesn’t cover rent/mortgage: written statement showing monthly amount of assistance. Letter must include date, name address and phone number with signature.

  8. Current income tax return: all pages with signature. If you didn’t file taxes, you must sign the Certification of No Income Tax Filing +  4506-T form. 

  9. If you receive government benefit (SSA, SSI, SSD), submit current proof, such as a copy of the check, current award letter, or bank statement.

  10. Social Security cards for all household members (copy of card will be accepted)

  11. Legal residents: submit a copy of your Resident Card. If you do not have a Resident Card, submit a copy of your current passport and Certification of no Social Security number

  12. Most recent utility bill, e.g., PSE&G (all pages) and/or last bill of fuel deliverables (oil)

  13. Proof of ownership or rent

  14. Current lease (expired not accepted) or completed Tenant Verification Form

  15. Housing letter (if you receive Section 8)

  16. Mortgage statement and/or property tax bill

  17. Homeowners with rental units must complete Rental Income Form

  18. All three pages of NJ Home Energy Programs Application

  19. Cooling applicants: original Doctor’s certification form


Home visits are available to assist the disabled and homebound individuals filing for LIHEAP

Greater Bergen Community Action 

294 Union Street

Hackensack, NJ 07601

*By appointment only, please call 201-488-5100.

*not wheelchair-accessible